(Thanks to Leofranc for correcting my remark about chronology).   I have
been thinking recently about the message to his own time which Syme wished
to convey: the dedication 'Parentibus patriaeque' suggests that there
certainly is a message.   The Roman Republic/British Empire both stand
menaced by dictatorships.   Caesar, the dictator with overt emergency
powers, seems rather to resemble Hitler; Stalin, the dictator who so
sickeningly disguised his work with a liberal constitution, seems to resemble
Augustus in Syme's portrait.   It seems that the enemy who uses deception
is more to be feared than the enemy who uses sheer force.  The message
seems to be conservative in that the Mos Maiorum in the end looks better
than any of the revolutionary alternatives.   So the Romans should have
stood, and the British now (1939) should stand, by their traditional
values.  Above all we sould be deaf to the kind of blandishments whereby
the Romans (think of the vain Cicero, and of what happened to him) were
corrupted and betrayed. There is something worrying here, in that the
British Empire had appealed so much to Augustan, and particularly to
Virgilian, ideas: yet these ideas are presented simply as the
blandishments and lies whereby Augustus kept his grip on power.   Much
turns, I think, on whether we accept Syme's view that Augustus is
portrayed (rather as Bernard Shaw portrayed Stalin, perhaps, mutatis
mutandis) as the Restorer of the Republic.   For my money, this isn't
right.   Augustus is portrayed by V as a king. - Martin Hughes