I don't think that I need to accuse RSyme of the modern version of Medism,
since I don't think that I need to accept the 'Antony=Caesar' formula.   I
did begin by saying that RS regards all dictatorship as a menace.
RS tells us that on the 17th March 44 Antony restored a rough and ready
form of constitutional government, something which the foolishly
ideological Cicero was to help subvert.   Is there is a contemporary
analogy, and hence a message directed by RS patriae suae?   If there
is, would it not be the message that, if we encountered any force in
Germany prepared to restore the constitution after the (quite
likely violent) death of the dictator, we should not be stopped by
ideology from doing business with it?   To some extent that suggestion (if
indeed intended) was overtaken by events.   In other ways it seems
prophetic, since certain ideological objections were indeed to be overcome
by the decision to rearm Germany - the first political controversy I
remember.  Of course all historical analogies are inexact: but I still
think that there is a remarkably strong analogy between the Stalin of 36
and Augustus of 27 in RS' portrait.   Standing back from particular
historical analolgies and looking at RS' general philosophy, I think it
is very challenging and also much more like V's view of things than RS
might have cared to admit.   RS says 'The tragedies of history do not
arise from the conflict of conventional right and wrong.  They are more
august [interesting word] and more complex.  Caesar and Brutus each had
right on his side'.   This is in a context where the links, personal and
ideological, between Brutus and Cato are outlined, so there must have been
right on both sides in the War of Pharsalus.   I think that this view,
whereby 'sua praemia laudi' and 'lacrimae rerum' become so strongly
linked, is highly Virgilian. It is at least an understandable (and surely
humane) view of the War of Pharsalus and of World War I (another analogy
intended by RS??), even of history in general.   But it is hard for RS
himself to sustain in his view of the War of Actium and hard or
impossible for us even to consider in respect of World War II.   (What of
the Cold War?)  I go on too long!!   But as for V on kingship: surely
there is no venom in V's usage of 'rex' or (just as interestingly)
'tyrannus' (I 544, VII 266). I think V portrays Augustus as one who holds
office by a means in which divine, rather than merely human, election (of
which heredity is one indication) play a part.   This sort of office is
contrary to Libertas as defended by Cato.   I don't see any Claudian-style
synthesis of monarchy and Libertas.   Brutus' action 'pulchra pro
libertate' of VI 821 is action against monarchy and in the service of an
attractive ideal.   But it caused the Republic to be born and to live its
life amid family strife, a theme of the next passage. - Martin Hughes.