At 09:34 AM 10/16/98 -0500, Randi Eldevik wrote:
>I can't agree with the recommendation of Dryden.  Anyone who would
>translate Latin "refulgens" by the English inkhorn term "refulgent" is not
>doing his job conscientiously.  "Refulgent" does not have the same
>descriptive force for English readers that "refulgens" had for ancient
>Romans.  That's just a single example, but it is symptomatic of the
>general deficiencies in Dryden's translation.

I'm with Randi on this one. The Latinisms don't bother me, but the couplets
do: not because I don't like rhyme, but because Dryden's couplets tend to
reduce everything that's said or done in the poem to a pithy little
epigram; that works for some of the Eclogues (and even some of the
Georgics), but for the Aeneid it's just wrong, wrong, wrong.

But I am eager to be instructed: would someone who does like Dryden's
translation care to say a few words on its behalf? (Simon?)