One reason why rhymed couplets are particularly well suited to an English
translation of Vergil, I think, is that they convey something of the rigid
formality of the Latin hexameter in a way that blank verse cannot.  For
consider:  the hexameter excludes any word containing the sequence
long-short-long, or short-short-short; just about every line will have a
third-foot caesura; and a good 95% of the lines will end
long-short-short-long-long.  In English blank verse, by contrast, (or at
least that written during and after the time of Shakespeare) there is no
word that can't be made to fit, there is no 'official' caesura, and the
line may end with an extra unstressed syllable, if the poet wants.  By
incorporating rhyme, one gets an added degree of constraint and symmmetry
to work with (and against); and perhaps one could think of the 'jingle'
effect that you get at the end as imitating the 'tunditur unda' rhythm that
you find at the end of basically every hexameter.

That said, I prefer the Mandlebaum translation, mostly for its accuracy and
concision.

Phil Thibodeau