>That is a rather hard question to answer there are many ways to answer that
>question. I am doing a similiar essay that has to do with how Dido portrays
>characters in the the Odyessey.  I tryed to link them together by using
>Kalypso and Penelope. She expresses her feelings as Penelope did
>....penelope weaved and unweaved the shroud and Dido kills herself. Also
>Aeneas trys to put it gently to Dido why he is leaving , Odysseus does the
>same as well to Kalyso and Kalypso pleads for him to stay just as Dido does
>to Aneas. If you have any other questions just let me know
>
>Jennifer
>
>At 02:18 PM 11/5/98 PST, you wrote:
>>
>>Can anyone please help me with my essay? The question is that "How do
>>Homer and Vergil maintain the ambiguity of traditional heroism? What
>>effect does it have?"
>>Please reply me as soon as possible because my paper is due 11/9, any
>>short answer or idea will be helpful.
>>Thank you
>>
>>Sincerely,
>>Judy

Dido is also a Circe-figure. Structurally, Aeneas' shipwreck and eventual
arrival at Dido's city are parallel to Odysseus' shipwreck and eventual
arrival at Circe's palace, the help that Venus gives to protect him is
parallel to Hermes and the moly, and, like Circe, Dido is a figure capable
of keeping the hero enthralled and thwarting his quest.
JLB

James Lawrence Peter Butrica
Department of Classics
Memorial University