Dear Judy,

this is probably totally daft and will earn you a bad mark from your
teachers, who are, one may assume, very traditional and stick-in-the-
mud in their attitudes (stick-in-the-mud is a virtue, by the way),
but I would have thought a good place to start would be the
description of Achilles' shield in Homer compared with the
description of Aeneas' shield in the Aeneid.

yn

> I guess one should concentrate on where the difficulties of heroism come
> out most noticeably, namely in the deaths of Hector and Turnus and how the
> 'heroic' values of their killers differ or are similar. Obviously, Aeneas
> is more problematic with his cold-blooded vengeance, but Achilles' abuse of
> Hector's body raises questions about the heroic model too.
> Virgil mainatins the ambiguity most brilliantly by leaving us with that
> image in the final lines, while Achilles' reconciliation with Priam somehow
> resolves what went wrong, though not entirely
>
> ----------
> > From: judy weng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Subject: VIRGIL: heroism in Aeneid
> > Date: Thursday, November 05, 1998 10:18 PM
> >

> > Can anyone please help me with my essay? The question is that "How do
> > Homer and Vergil maintain the ambiguity of traditional heroism? What
> > effect does it have?"
> > Please reply me as soon as possible because my paper is due 11/9, any
> > short answer or idea will be helpful.
> > Thank you
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > Judy