Although no-one has actually said it, it will be clear from the
variety of responses and the reference to various authors that there
is no one "Helen"; each author was and is free to "interpret" the
character "Helen" as he/she sees fit.

However, the most interesting (because ambiguous and many-sided) view
of Helen's "response" to Menelaos, to Paris and to sexual passion and
family life is Homer's Iliad, the episode of the single combat in
Books 2,3,4.  There we see the power of beauty, male and female, and
of sexual attraction studied in a masterly way in a variety of
contexts including the old men on the wall and Priam himself.  There
the power of Aphrodite is shown for what it is - not something to be
trifled with.  And that portrayal of Helen is set right beside - not
contrasted - with the portrait of Andromache that follows.

Rebecca and her girls, if they have not read those passages of the
Iliad, truly have a treat in store!

yn

> From:          "Rebecca Smyth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To:            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject:       Re: VIRGIL: Helen's Abduction
> Date:          Thu, 11 Feb 1999 10:49:31 PST

> Salvete!
>
> Thank you all for your comments and insight.  I am most grateful for
> your help and I'm certain that my girls will also apreciate it;  I'm
> looking forward to my next class with them and an exciting discussion.
> I would definitely enjoy reading the speech which Georgias wrote:  thank
> you in advance for forwarding it to me.
>
> I shall turn now to Homer,  Euripides and Ovid and investigate this
> matter further.
>
> I'm thoroughly enjoying teaching our heritage,  particularly with such
> marvellous discussions from interested students.
>
> Thank you,  again,  for providing me with further questions and ideas to
> put to my students.
>
> Rebecca Smyth

Yvan Nadeau
[EMAIL PROTECTED]