James E. Ferguson schrieb:
> I've been scratching my head over the use of "quem" in line 11 of Aeneid 4.
> The passage:
>
> "Anna soror, quae me suspensam insomnia terrent!
> Quis novus hic nostris successit sedibus hospes,           10
> quem sese ore ferens, quam forti pectore et armis!"
>
> I'm taking "quae" in line 9 as an interrogative adjective in an
> exclamation;  "Quis" as interrogative pronoun with exclamatory force;
> "quam" as an exclamatory; the "quem"

isn't it parallel in its function to the other interrogative pronouns; also
exclamatory? I think, it is a praedicativum, congruent with the (reflexive)
object "sese": "as what kind of man (akk., as whom) he is showing himself with
his face?", -
(excuse my English, in German: "Als was für einen Mann stellt er sich durch
sein
Gesicht dar, als was für einen Menschen zeigt er sich durch seinen Blick" - )

It is interesting, that Maro takes a praedicative object, not the praedicative
subject in this case: so it is more the result at the end of "se ferre", a
result that moves Dido, a kind of the hero's action and behaviour, impressing
Dido's view.

grusz, hansz
http://home.t-online.de/home/03581413454/ekloga4.htm

I don't see...Why accusative?  Is it