<< message forwarded by listowner, David Wilson-Okamura >>

Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 11:11:41 +0100
From: Robert Dyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Dear List,

Thus sollicited!! M. Plantade and I have corresponded briefly privately,
but that in no way impedes our response to the list.

1. Homer or all of those who wrote parts of the epics (whichever is the
best way of looking at epics written squarely IN a tradition) used at
least 2 cola (singular colon = limb) to compose one line. You can easily
understand how oral poets composed words into metrical cola of the
vaious formats that fit into one hexameter. It turns out that writing
catalog poetry (lists of place names such as the big one at the end of
Iliad II) is very easy if you follow the rules for turning long or short
words into cola and fitting cola together into a hexameter line. The
same is true for some lyric poems, such as Pindar, also. There is lots
of scholarly literature on all this.

The question addressed by Eduard Fraenkel was, Did the Roman poets such
as Vergil and Horace compose by cola? There is dispute over this. As a
loyal student of Fraenkel I believe they did, but Horace not always.
Some of Vergil's cola are very interesting from a metrical point of view
because Latin has a much stronger word stress than ancient Greek did.
Both Vergil and Horace seem conscious of the conflict that arises in
most Latin cola (= verse phrases) between their normal spoken word
stresses (that MUST be observed in reading Latin poetry if you are not
going to have nonsense) and the evident metrical patterns, which do in
some poetry represent a musical pattern. Obviously the first person to
raise this question on the list had a teacher in former days who read
the poetry monotously (ignoring one or other of the underlying patterns,
probably the word stress).

2. Here are some things to try. Open your Aeneid and read the last 5
syllables of every line you see in front of you, quickly one after
another. If you know Latin word stress you will find the
dum-di-di-dum-dum amusing and appalling. The beat of the verse on the
first syllable of the fifth and sixth feet of the hexamer coincides with
the natural Latin word stress of (normally) two consecutive words. Any
hexameter line in Vergil that does not end this way is extraordinary and
very interesting. In my terms the coincidence of word stress and
metrical pattern at the end of the line is a "resolution" - the conflict
in the metrical feet before it is replaced by something easy to read and
indicating orally the end of the line. Some lines are full of
coincidences and read in a flowing, easy way. Lines that have many
different stresses and beats read much more slowly. If you read a long
passage observing this difference in the "resolution", as Derek Williams
did, the flow of the passage becomes very interesting and far from
monotonous.

3. Word order is a much more difficult question and I have never been
sure how many people in the word agree with me, my teacher A.F. Wells,
and his teacher Cyril Bailey (best known for the best edition of
Lucretius). Latin has two systems in the clause, the sentence and the
paragraph. One is the one we all learned at school and my
twelve-year-old is being examined on in school as I write this (we spent
last night revising). The four basic rules of Latin syntax are:

Agreement
a. The verb agrees with its subject;
b. The adjective agrees with the noun it modifies.

Governance
c. The verb governs the case of its abject.
d. The preposition governs its noun.

Vergil must obey these rules to write Latin. But he and Horace use them
in a sophisticated way to write Latin in a word order without any great
logical organization but rather a word order dictated by metre and by a
sort of painting which juxtaposes words to create visual or other
associative images. In doing this they may well have seemed as shocking
as Ezra Pound or James Joyce. I don't know. But their adjectives are
often far from the nouns they agree with, verbs from subjects and
objects. They also exploit the rules that a genitive noun goes with the
nearest possible noun (Horace loves putting a genitive halfway between
two possible nouns, creating ambiguity or rather a double use of one
word) and that an adverb or adverbial phrase goes with the nearest
possible verb.

4. Now let me stress something that you find rarely or never (please
tell me places where it is written up, Maurice Cunningham and people in
U.Kentucky have published and spoken on aspects of word order rules, but
never synthetically, I believe - I cannot be the only heir of Wells and
Bailey alive) in textbooks. LATIN DOES HAVE WORD ORDER RULES, not only
in classical prose but in poets such as Catullus and Ovid. Therefore
Latin, alongside the Tagalog and Caucasian families of languages, did
have two dimensions of syntax (the grammar of agreement and governance
and the logic of word order, beautifully taught in French schools but as
a logic rather than a feature of syntax). It would take the book that
Wells always planned to write and hoped in vain I would write to give
all the rules but here is the gist.

The unit begins with that which relates it to the preceding unit - the
relative pronoun, a word for "he", the person or thing that speaker and
hearer both know about. It ends with the word that conveys the message
of the speaker, often a verb to express the relationship asserted by the
speaker between the nouns and pronouns grouped before it. A surprising
subject, object or adjective asserted by the speaker may come last in
the sentence or clause as his special observation about the words in the
middle of the sentence. These rules also determine the structure of the
paragraph, from the well-known and obvious to the speaker's message. I
do not know much about Chinese grammar, but it is my general impression
that the grammatical rules of word order in the Chinese sentence are
very similar to the "logical" rules of Latin word order.

6. I love the way Catullus, Ovid and Tacitus use the rules of word order
to great effect, and Tacitus seems to follow both normal rules and
Vergil's talent for painting with words.

I know only one Latin writer who shows no trace of the Latin word order
rules that Bailey, Wells and I have always taught. His name is Vergil.
Pardon a long post, but I will be startled if it meets with general
agreement.

Rob Dyer

in retirement in Paris, bringing up three young sons and listening to my
wife's ideas on why  Proust's big novel was unfinished, as she becomes
the bête noire of  the world's experts.