<< message forwarded by listowner >>

Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 20:49:42 +0800
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Paul Roche wrote on the 26th September 2001:
>Do listmembers know anything about the illustrated manuscript Holkholm
>MS 311? Details from it are featured on the front cover of Wilkinson's
>Georgics and Lee's Eclogues (both Penguin). anything will be appreciated -
>date, location, publications.

I hope the following  meagre and unscholarly bits of information are useful
clues for you in your search.

The "Georgics" illustration on the front cover of Wilkinson's translation
is also reproduced in:

(1) Todd,James and Janet Maclean (1955) "Voices from the Past: A Classical
Anthology for the Modern Reader" London: Phœnix House, as a full page black
and white illustration opposite p.352.

The illustration is labelled as a "Flemish miniature, painted c.1500, [it]
was used as a frontispiece for Volume I [sic] of the Works of Virgil . It
illustrates in detail the four books of the 'Georgics'." (As there are
apparently illustrations to the "Eclogues" too, I wonder if the "Georgics"
illustration does actually belong to volume I.)

(2) Grigson, Geoffrey (1981) 'The First Great Countryman? Virgil After
2,000 Years', "Country Life" October 29 , pp.1450-1452, and simply labelled
as "from a 15th-century Flemish manuscript".

The back cover of the Penguin Classics "Georgics" states  the "Frontispiece
to the Georgics from Holkham MS 311 Reproduced by  courtesy of Viscount
Coke D.L. (copyright Coke estates Ltd photograher J Lightfoot)"

The back cover of Lee's Penguin "Eclogues" says that"the cover shows an
illumination to the fifth Eclogue, from Holkham MS 307.[sic] Reproduced
courtesy of Viscount Coke D.L. Copyright Coke estates Ltd Photographer
J.Lightfoot." Unless this is an error (a number misprint?) it would seem
that this illustration is not from Holkham MS 311.

However an illustration of the "First Eclogue" from Holkham MS 311 appears
in colour on the cover of :

Barrell, John & Bull, John (1982) "The Penguin Book of English Pastoral
Verse" Harmondsworth: Penguin.

The back cover says "The cover shows a detail from a miniature in the
frontispiece of the Eclogues of the Holkholm Virgil MS.311. Reproduced by
kind permission of Lord Leicester and EP Microform Ltd".

It is also reproduced in black and white  in the "Country Life" article
mentioned above where, although mislabelled as an illustration of the
"Georgics", it  is likewise described as being from "from a 15th-century
Flemish manuscript ".

At a guess it would seem that Holkham MS 311 is in the library of one of
the estates of the Earl of Leicester whose family name is Coke, and whose
son would therefore  be Viscount Coke.

Best wishes,

Peter J V Dennistoun Bryant
[EMAIL PROTECTED]