<DIV><FONT face="Times New Roman">Paul Roche</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="Times New Roman">University of
Queensland</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
</x-html>From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Sat Dec 15 12:41:28 2001
>From [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Sat Dec 15 02:31:16 2001
From: "Graeme Miles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: VIRGIL: Lumen Purpureum
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 02:29:40
Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

There's more purple light in the dress circle of the underworld, Aeneid
6.640-1:
largior hic campos aether et lumine vestit
purpureo, solemque suum, sua sidera norunt.

Austin writes in his note on this that purpureus means "not the English
purple, but lustrous, dazzling", citing examples of its application to salt,
swans, light on waves, and to spring in Eclogue 9.40, "ver purpureum".  He
also refers to Fordyce on Catullus 45.12, who lists a few more examples.

Cheers,
Graeme