<< message forwarded by listowner >>

Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 13:45:13 -0500
From: "Jim O'Hara" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I don't think this has been mentioned on this List yet, though it has
been discussed on the Classics List.  Bob Dylan's latest album features
a song with some words that should look familiar to Vergilians:

http://republika.pl/bobdylan/lat/lonesome.htm (the site cites Vergil in
a footnote)

Lonesome Day Blues
(words and music by Bob Dylan. Copyright (c)2001 Special Rider Music)
    I'm going to spare the defeated, I'm going to speak to the crowd,
    I'm going to spare the defeated, boys, I'm going to speak to the
crowd,
30  I'm going to teach peace to the conquered, I'm going to tame the
proud.

--
Jim O'Hara
Paddison Professor of Latin