Hi Darren

If you are looking at the map only, then MapInfo will only really need
to read the map file. This file may be huge but it will only need to
read part of it. Basically the file contains index blocks that contain
MBRs ( Minimum bounding rectangles ) . With about twenty blocks per
level you dont have to have too many blocks too really break down your
geography!

So only a small part of the map file needs to get read - all index
blocks to blocks of objects taht intersect the screen plus the blocks of
objects themselves that intersect the screen. However this will still be
more than say MapXtreme as in this case the map is built on the server
and literally just the screen image is sent.

Some of out customers have 50 plus seats on a network and there is a
definite degradation of performance. However considering the size of the
files the technology is still very impressive!

Hope this helps.

Bob

In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Darren Kisner
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes