Thanks to all those who responded.  Several suggested that the crash was
caused by a bug with VM; UT would work with VM not running.  A patch was
created for the bug and is included in recent versions of MI.  I am using MI
5.0 and thus the solution had to be sought elsewhere.

Today's solution: Make sure that mapinfow.prj resides in the mapinfo
installation directory.  In my case it existed in several directories
(Tools, ArcLink, ShapeLink) but the local root. The file could be accessed
by several other procedures, and so hadn't yet appeared as a problem.
MapInfo Tech Support identified this while investigating a seemingly
unrelated problem with ArcLink.

Hats off to Cindy, and thanks to Mike, George, Tony, Peter, and Rick