Hi Ben,

I guess you problem here might be the fact that some ( or rather a lot ) of
your records have been selected more than once, and therefore the entire
length
of all the lines will double, triple or more.

Try the following:
Select LineName, sphericalobjectlen(t_name.obj, "mi")  From MyLineTab
Where obj Intersects any (Select obj from MyRegionTab
               where Name = "TheRightName")
Group By LineName
Into MyNewSelection NoSelect

In this way every entry will only be shown ones. Of course the LineName
column
should be unique, eventually add a new column and update it with the RowID.

Do also have in mind that when you do a gruoping your obj is lost,
therefore you
have to select the Lenght information from the beginning.

I hope this helps

Peter
**
Peter Moller        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
GIS-Developer       Direct: +45 6313 5008
Kampsax Geoplan     Voice: +45 6313 5013
Rugaardsvej 55      Faximile: +45 6313 5090
DK 5000 Odense C    Web: www.mapinfo.dk
Denmark        MapInfo Authorized Partner
**

Ben Humphrey wrote:

Okay, here's something COMPLETELY messed up.

I am conducting some length calculations on some line data for the US
railroad network.  I did a select objects from the railroad table that
intersect another table of polygons.  I save that as a table.  I then do a
select sphericalobjectlen(t_name.obj, "mi") into sometable, calculate
statistics, and get a the sum, for each row in the original table selection
of line lengths.  If I do it that way, I get over 6000 miles (which is way
off if you just look at the selection in a map window.  If I combine all
line objects into one, and then double click on the single object, I get a
line length of only 1000, which seems much more reasonable.  Anybody have
this experience before or am I using the wrong mapinfo commands?

Thanks
Ben