Hi Hassan,

You were asking for MapInfo compatible Geological software ....

Personally, I used Geobasemap from Examin for creating geological maps and
report data during my tenure at a gold exploration company.

2D and 3D data handling could be easily done with Discover and/or Vertical
Mapper but for field data acquisition I could only see a customized
solution, which would mostly depend on the data you acquire in the field:
i.e.: geochemical sampling data, geological mapping data (that is the
recording of polygons, polylines - geological objects - ), or capture of
drill hole data. Only these three categories would require a different
collection of attributes to be captured certainly in very specific user
interfaces. And even these user interfaces might be customized to the
requirements of your project or company. Additionally you need field
computer equipment suitable for harsh environments, which is capable to run
without external power for a sufficient time. All this does not sound like
an out-of-the-box solution.

At the Bavarian Geological Survey I was responsible for developing and
implementing a digital geological field data capturing system, which
featured both recording of spatial information (geological objects on
scanned topographic map backdrops) and specific attribute data.

We used a German software called GISPAD (check out http://www.conterra.de),
which features a module for generating spatial data (without topological
reduncancy !) and a so-called Object Class Editor, which allows you to
design you custom data model and user interface. It has an easy to use data
form generator, which lets you create a user interface very easily. We use
GISPAD now successfully during geological surveying projects. Any custom
business rules can be attached via a programming interface using Borland
Delphi as a programming environment.

The most problems we had was with the choice of suitable field hardware:
there are not many appropriate systems on the market. Most important is a
sunlight readable display, which holds what it promises. You DEFINITELY have
to test before you buy. We now field test the VIA Flexi-PC, a computer
system, which can be carried like a belt, which has a touch screen, which
can be read under most light conditions (it uses the sunlight to enhance
contrast, so the brighter the sun the more contrast you have on the color
display, in dark rooms you won't see anything of course). The computer runs
approximately 8 to 10 hours on two batteries, which are attached to to the
belt. to my oppinion this systems gives users the maximum available comfort
during the field work, because you can have your hands free for "hard work".
Check out http://www.flexi-pc.com  . Personally, I think that conventional
notebook computers are not very suitable for field work, because of the
display (usually not sunlight readable), no pen input devices and touch
screens, too bulky, too short run down times).

With respect to GISPAD again - it has a German user interface, but if you
are really interested may be they could translate the menu system into
English. They have import / export interfaces to Shape(shp), DXF and others,
but unfortunately not to MapInfo yet, so you could import this data into
MapInfo via shp. If the German market would not be so dominated by ESRI,
they would certainly have a MapInfo export function also.

Why do I advertise this software so much ? First, because it is very good to
use, very focused and customizable, and coming from a company which is very
cooperative. The second thing I say all this is, that if MapInfo would
finally decide to provide a visual data form designer, point 3 of your
requirements could be done easily from within MapInfo / MapBasic. This would
of course require controls, which you could bind to your MapInfo data
tables.

Of course you could also opt for a MapX-based application using Visual
Basic, rebuilt lots of MI functionality and provide data entry forms from VB
and add some project administration functionality plus GPS interface. This
would be a major development effort.

To sum up, as you already suspected, I would agree that field data
acquisition is probably the most difficult topic. Mostly because of
hardware, secondly because - depending on your projects - you would need
customized solutions for data capture. In this field MapInfo / MapBasic is
very weak and a MapX solution would be a major development effort. Therefore
we chose GISPAD, which provides a ready to use mapping environment, and a
easy to use development module.

If you have further questions about our experiences with digital geological
data capture in the field, feel free to contact me at:

Thomas Gülden
Geologist
Bavarian Geological Survey
Heßstr. 128