From: Neil Havermale [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, 22 August 2000 12:11
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: MI Oracle and MapInfo - Map/nHand?

This isn't a wish but a hope for consideration.....

In the scope of the PC/desktop and MapInfo I have attempted to try to gain
the advantage of Oracle for our users - large multiple million dollar farms
heavily capitalize and on the Net (33kb on good days).  Via emerging site
specific farming systems a 1000 acre farm can easily generate a gigabyte of
foot by foot farming detail.  I just know Oracle must be better than
Microsoft's Access?

But every time I have tried to leverage MapInfo and Oracle for our users,
buy the time you dig out the minimum that is needed the Oracle/MapInfo
environment the configuration seems hopelessly expensive, resource
demanding, and complex for any small business application user to invest in.
There seems to be this macro-trend in MapInfo that unless that user is a
Fortune 1000 scaled outfit, forget it?

The recent Map/nHand is a case in point; it seems really neat up to the
point that a developer discovers you'll  need 8i, all sorts of Oracle JAVA
modules, MapXtream JAVA, a wireless network, and some unknown number of
roving hooked-in PDAs.  What about all those little companies that have
fewer than ten field staff?  Or what about those situations where the
real-time radio connections are as yet unavailable?  This opportunity of
Map/nHand plus Oracle seems to escape the market that brought MapInfo to the
GIS dance - the single stand alone or small office map user needing easy to
use power to explore their data.  Its their leverage to get the same
leverage on the information age as the huge corporations...

I guess we will need to study Ma/nHand in detail once its fully available
but I am concerned that all the nifty new opportunity that MapInfo is
developing is poorly scaled to most of MapInfo's 200,000 users?

MidNight Mapper
aka Neil

Map/nHand Info......

MapInfo MapinHand provides a mobile connection to field staff for real-time
access to corporate information displayed on interactive maps, helping field
workers to better assess situations, to deliver the right service solutions
and to update data on the spot. Additional benefits include:
*       Mobility - Workers on the move can easily stay connected to the
corporate database.
*       Improved Efficiency - Field workers can make better-informed
decisions by having accurate up-to-date information at hand, eliminating the
need to return to the office to obtain information for unscheduled,
emergency jobs.
*       Updated, Accurate Databases - Field workers can send updated
information on equipment or customer status to the corporate database from
their PDAs.
*       More Satisfied, Loyal Customers - Improved, faster problem
resolution, better customer service and more reliable field equipment leads
to satisfied, loyal customers.
*       Packaged Solution - MapinHand is ready to go. No additional
programming is required. MapinHand includes installation and configuration
of the solution on the customer site.
Pricing and Availability
MapInfo MapinHand will be available in September and will be priced based on
the number of handheld client devices. Pricing includes installation,
configuration, customer support and product maintenance. MapinHand runs on
Palm OS and Windows CE platforms.