ArcPad is definitely for illiterate users - being an ex-user(!).
Although it is dead easy to use and has some very powerful functionality it
does not really have enterprise-capability.  It is very localised in that
the tables/extracts are dumped to the device and then edited and then dumped
back again onto the server for a QA person to sort out.  There is no default
built-in transactional capability.  For some solutins this may be fine.  I
was not aware that the product ArcPAD would edit mapinfo tables - although
the translators would bring them in ok, but by default i saw no open tab
menu option.  I have not seen MapnHand but if u really have to rely on the
infamously slow Java solution at the other end with 8i then i ain't
interested in it!  I hope C# is a lot faster - anyone installed ORACLE7 and
then used the ORACLE8i installation???? Add an extra 20 mins purely because
of the Java GUI.

>From my experience I think that ArcPAD is in fact very light on resource.
Get the program ($500?), dump it on the CE ($400 Aero colour) and you could
have MI or ArcView or whatever back at base checking it all.

With the advent of GPRS and 3G just what does the future hold in store for
GIS in terms of the field force?  Complete raster/vector coverage retrieved
on-line in realtime? Full multimedia integration? VR functionality?
Realtime transactions - hooked back to the server?  Could be interesting.

Just my two cents.....

Doug