You have the "penalty" equation backwards.

Power unit pricing is simply a response to the reality of modern
communication technology deployment. Turn the equation around and ask
yourself, "Why should Wee Technologie running MapXtreme on a coal-fired
1996 Pentium II serving a modest 5-person intranet have to pay the same
price as the multinational Engulf & Devour, Inc., operating an Internet
server farm of interlinked nuclear-powered Clamdippe 9000's?"

Software prices for users of the latest technology or who have wider
pipes into the 'net are higher because the leverage offered by better
performance and wider and faster market reach is worth more (in theory.)

If your business is of average means, consider it as a tax on the rich.
If you have it all, think of it as noblesse oblige.

- Bill Thoen