Malcolm
I have had this problem and found it was caused when I made changes to the
MapInfo table that was linked to my Access database and then did not update
the changes to the Access table when I closed MapInfo.
If you make changes to a MapInfo table that is linked to an Access table,
when you eventually close the MapInfo table you should get a dialogue box
giving you the option of copying those changes  to the Access table.  When I
did this the problem you describe went away!  I hope this is some help.

The matter of linking to Access and all the potential problems, as well as
the pros and cons of linking with ODBC or just opening an Access table
directly from MapInfo, seems to be very poorly documented.  The MS help on
ODBC is, in my opinion, a dog's breakfast of geek-speak with the occasional
English word thrown in.  For instance if one is not on a network is there
any difference between "File Data Source" and "Machine Data Source" when
setting up an ODBC link?  If anybody knows an information source regarding
ODBC and MapInfo and the best way of using Access tables, I would love to
hear of it.

John

John Elliot
Anzeco Pty. Limited