Dear List

I have two tables, each consisting of several thousand polygons - one of
"hard" intertidal vegetation and the other of "soft" intertidal vegetation
and sediments.   I have another table of bird count zones.  I would like to
know if it is possible to use SQL to find out the precise hectarage (not
including overlaps of poygons across the bird count zones) of the hard and
soft vegetation within each bird-count zone.

So far I have tended to use the Cookie Cutter to make new tables - to make
sure that there is no overlap (and therefore incorrect areal coverages).
However, I have a lot of bird count zones and so would rather not have to do
individual hard and soft vege tables for each zone.  A new but accurate
method would therefore be gratefully received.

Will sum

Best wishes

Jacqui Foskett
(GIS Officer, Chichester Harbour Conservancy)