Offset line styles on polygons (with or without holes) seem to work ok with
the following notes:
1. Draw a complementary top and bottom offset as separate styles in
milisted.exe , so regardless of the direction of the poly, one will provide
the desired inside or outside style. I drew a solid polyline at 4 pixel
offset from centre.
2. It seems that holes adopt the direction of the outer boundary, so will
have consistent style as the outer boundary (not 100% sure about this).
3. There is a  problem of end conditions on line styles (they are projected
from the centreline and not intersected with adjacent segments). THis may
impact the output
quality. Make sure a single pixel width line is used.
4. The region style picker "sample display" is with reference to a
particular poly direction and thus wont necessarily reflect the final
display. The sample looks very jaggy compared to the displayed version.
5. Use the region picker to change styles between the "inside" and "outside"
versions of the style (was using #120 & #121) seemed to result in no change
sometimes (MI 5.5) - changing to a 3rd style and then to the required one
fixed.

Line styles have to be faster and easier to work with than buffering to
achieve a display effect.
if there is  a tool somewhere for setting all polys to the same (say
clockwise) direction, the process might be a bit more predicatable.

Phil.