Many thanks to Graham, Vinesh, Peter, Tim and John to provide me with
solution to my query.

Peter's suggestion worked for me (I really admire the simplicity of
the solution!). Graham very kindly provided the "Search and Replace"
modified code but unfortunately I had overlooked to mention to him
that my MI Version is only 5.5 and the code works with 6.5 version.
I've summarised the helpful suggestions below along with my original
query:

My query:

Whilst working out drive times for East Midlands area I noticed that
the road network table I was using couldn't aid to create a graph
file in Route View Pro as its "Type" column had null value.  What I
wanted to do was to change the value of the "Type" field to
correspond to the road type.  I couldn't work out any "search and
replace" function within MI so ended up separating the road types,
then updating the columns and appending the records together again.
I just wondered if there was a simpler way of performing a search and
replace function within MI or is it done via a query?

1.  Graham's suggestion was:  "If you click on Tools and Tool Manager
you will see you can load "Search and Replace". You have to be
careful with this as it will only replace the first instance of the
character in each row. The program code can be modified quite easily
to get round this and if you want a modified version I can send it to
you".

2.  Vinesh's suggestion was:  "Two solutions here:

a. Go to the Tools directory in MapInfo and load the Search and
Replace mbx tool.

b. Go to www.spatialplus.com and you will find a Search and Replace
tool to download from the products page."

3.  Peter's suggestion was:

"Select * From MYTABLE
   Where MYOTHERCOL = "This other value"
   Into Selection
(Can also be executed using the SQL dialog)

Update Selection
   Set MYCOL = "Another Value"
(Can also be executed using the Update column dialog)

This is how it can be done without splitting the table as combining
it again. Just remember only to update you Selection and not the
entire table using the Update Column dialog."

4.  Tim's suggestion was:  "There is a Search and Replace MBX that
comes with MI and can be loaded via the tools menu.  It is somewhat
primitive;  I think maybe a better one can be found on
DirectionMag.com's tools site."

5.  John's suggestion was:  "Try the >Table>Update Column option
where road type=0  But will this alter your RouteView values? You may
need to rebuild the graph file..."

Have a lovely weekend.

Thanks and regards.

JC