Thanks for the advice, Spencer.  I'll consider all that.

Cheers

Terry

-----Original Message-----
From: Spencer Simpson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 05 April 2006 14:31
To: Terry McDonnell
Subject: RE: [MI-L] Menus - swapping in and out

Another possibility is to copy the Create Menu Bar statement from the end of
"Mapinfow.mnu" into your program. This has the advantage of leaving the
configurations of the other menus alone.

But since your application replaces the MapInfo menu bar with its own menu bar,
you should think about whether it's compatible with other MapBasic
applications.  The other applications respond to the same event handlers your
application does, and can possibly alter the menu bar themselves.  You don't
want that: It's as if the application were working with a MapInfo runtime.

For such an application, I recommend that the EndHandler routine contain an End
MapInfo statement.  When the application closes, MapInfo does as well.
To use "regular" MapInfo your users would start a new MapInfo.   No code to
swap menus in an out would be necessary.

For the same reason, I'd recommend against adding a "TerrysMenu" to the menu
bar. If you want your own submenu, add it to the "Tools" menu.

Hope this helps
Spencer