Following up on the discussion thread on this topic (
https://s.apache.org/eFOf), I'd like to put the proposal for a vote for the
release cadence and EOL. The proposal is as follows:

"A minor release line is end-of-lifed 2 years after it is released or there
are 2 newer minor releases, whichever is sooner. The community reserves the
right to extend or shorten the life of a release line if there is a good
reason to do so."

This also entails that we the Hadoop community commit to following this
practice and solving challenges to make it possible. Andrew Wang laid out
some of those challenges and what can be done in the discussion thread
mentioned above.

I'll set the voting period to 7 days. I understand a majority rule would
apply in this case. Your vote is greatly appreciated, and so are
suggestions!

Thanks,
Sangjin