I don't think the motivation here is vendor play or taking away power from
committers. Having a regular release cadence helps our users understand
when a feature will ship so they can plan their upgrades. Having an EOL
policy and a minimum support period helps users choose a release line, and
understand when they will need to upgrade.

In the earlier thread, we discussed how these are not rules, but
guidelines. There's a lot of flexibility if someone wants to keep
maintaining a release line (particularly if they are willing to do the
backporting work). More power to them; more releases are a good thing for
the project.

My main concern (which I raised on the earlier thread) is that without
significant improvements to the release process and upstream integration
testing, it's unlikely we'll actually ship more releases. Too often,
branches are simply not in a releaseable state, or they have latent blocker
bugs due to a lack of testing. This is what we've been struggling with on
both the 2.8.x and 3.0.0-x release lines.

So, in the abstract, I'm +1 on having a published policy on release cadence
and EOL. This information helps users.

However, I don't think we're ready to actually execute on this policy for
the above reasons. This leaves me ambivalent overall, perhaps -0 since
publishing a policy we don't follow is more confusing to users.

My 2c,
Andrew