in some cases, u have to debug it in a real cluster (for example a
production problem)

in that case you need to specify the

-Xdebug -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=12345,server=n,suspend=n

for mapred.java.child.opts for the job (sorry forgot the exact param name,
maybe not exactly mapred.java.child.opts)

then use eclipse to connect to the tasktracker ,  note you need to choose
between "Listen/attach" in the
"Run remote application" window in eclipse