Hi everyone,

After some more experimentation and looking at the server logs (we use
IIS), I tracked this down to the MS_MAX_CGI_PARAMS value in cgiutil:

cgiutil.c:
  while( post_data[0] ) {
        if(m >= MS_MAX_CGI_PARAMS) {
          msIO_printf("Too many name/value pairs, aborting.\n");
          exit(0);
        }

Cgiutil.h:
#define MS_MAX_CGI_PARAMS 100

So it looks like I'll have to recompile if I want to pass mapserv more
than 100 variables at a time. Is this wise? I imagine the limit is there
for a reason. My setup is already getting slow dealing with the amount
of data I have in it. I was hoping to have each of my layers
individually controllable, but maybe I'll have to stick with groups for
the sake of performance.

Instead of giving each layer its own variable, would it be a feasible
workaround to combine all the active layer names into the single
variable "layers"? Again, I'm wondering what performance would be like
once I start passing hundreds of layer names in each cgi request. The
template scripting to put everything into "layers" could also slow
things down.