That's a trick I'll try.

OF note, when using available RPMs theoretically for CentOS 5:
* the netcdf RPM doesn't create a link that's just libnetcdf.so and this link needs to be created.
* the link flr libpd.so needs to be created, too
* the RPMs for proj4 and proj4-devel do not provide the epsg info and put things in /usr rather than /usr/local. everything that is expected, for example, in /usr/local/share/epsg needs to go into /usr/share/epsg and then it'll work fine.

We were able to find appropriate RPMs for all dependencies. I'll make a list and serve that up soon.

gerry