If you don’t mind empty <p> tags between your blockquotes, you can use the
non-breaking space character. (On OS X, that’s option+space.)

Normalized output on Babelmark2:
http://johnmacfarlane.net/babelmark2/?normalize=1&text=%3E+foo%0A%0A%C2%A0%0A%0A%0A%3E+bar%0A%0A%C2%A0%0A%0A%0A%3E+baz

(wow, how useful is that…! Thanks, John MacFarlane!)

On Oct 24, 2012, at 1:09 PM, Thomas Maibaum <thomasmaib...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> First off, I'm new to this list, so if this has been dealt with before, I
> apologize. I was unable to find a solution in Google.
> My question is, how do I insert a blank line between blockquote paragraphs so
> that they are visually separate? I often need to put two or three separate
> blockquotes in a row, without any regular text between them, but Markdown
> always renders the HTML output like one long quote. Like this:
>
> > Quote #1
> [line break followed by empty line or spaces]
> > Quote #2
> [line break followed by empty line or spaces]
> > Quote #3
>
> It always ends up looking the same as this:
>
> > Quote #1 [regular linebreak]
> > Quote #2  [regular linebreak]
> > Quote #3  [regular linebreak]
>
> So far, I've always put an acute accent ( ´ ) between the quotes, because it
> was the least obtrusive character I could think of:
> > Quote #1 [regular linebreak]
> ´
> > Quote #2  [regular linebreak]
> ´
> > Quote #3  [regular linebreak]
>
> But of course this is still an ugly workaraound. Is there another way to go
> about this?
>
> Looking forward to any hints,
>
> Thomas

Alan Hogan