Hello Marc,

Le lundi 03 décembre 2012 à 11:29 -0500, Marc Paré a écrit :
> Hi everyone,
>
> Le 2012-11-26 06:06, Charles-H. Schulz a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > Provided that TDF has the budget, would you guys agree to have a
> > sponsored link on Facebook?
> >
> > Thanks,
>
> Judging from the positive response to this, I have added this item to
> the wishlist thread.
>
> Charles, as you are the person who suggested this item, could I put you
> down as the contact person for when/if the TDF approve the funds for this?

Sure.

> Could you (or someone on this list) also provide a cost estimation for
> placing an ad ... I imagine there are many varieties of "target
> audience" that prospective ads could be chosen from -- e.g. different
> regions of the globe; target particular clients interested in
> technology, education, etc ...

yes indeed.

> If you could provide different ad possibilities depending on the costs.
> Maybe we could target people in different regions of the globe for x
> number of months and then move to another region OR target particular
> types of individuals for x number of months and then mover to another
> type of target.

Exactly. I'm trying to determine that in order to come up with a
budget...

> I guess it all depends on what type of target types FP allows for its ad
> placement.
>
> But ad placement, IMO, would work if there was a plan to place ads over
> a certain amount of months, as well as, later, getting some kind of
> feedback of its success.

Exactly. The notion goes like this: facebook ads can cost anywhere
between 2$ and 5000$ a day. So there's really room for thinking and
playing. But I would not want this to go nowhere just because there are
too many options. I'd envision a first campaign that's short and
targeted in a not too specific way (as in, we target specific categories
but don't go too deep) and evaluate the returns on this.

>From what I know and have observed on several blogs and websites,
Facebook may not drive "purchases", but it drives real traffic. I have
heard about GM pulling out from Facebook, but then tracking the
customer's interest from a facebook page to the car loan signed  at the
specific GM's reseller seems far-fetched in any case. However, one click
leading to a download of a "free" software is quite different imho.

Best,
Charles.

--
Charles-H. Schulz
Co-Founder & Director, The Document Foundation,