On 11/27/12 4:22 PM, webmaster-Kracked_P_P wrote:

> The real issue is the "proprietary" software/files in the things like
> Enterprise level database and mail systems.  The newer of the two
> articles seems not to indicate anything about the "standard" PC office
> package for the city.  They may have found a way to use an "open
> standard" office package, but only reported the problems with the
> Enterprise open-source issues.

Forget about any open standard: they use Windows and Microsoft Office.
They were supposed to switch to Linux, but they have miserably missed
because of poor planning and lack of communication.

> Still, it is interesting that the movement to open-source packages
> and/or ODF was being looked into as early as 2005.  That would indicate
> that for over 7 years, companies have been working on the movement
> towards "open formats" and open-source packages.  We can surely say that
> it is not a "new thing" that has come out in the past 2 or 3 years.

Unfortunately, this also means that Microsoft has lobbied against ODF
and open formats for the same amount of time. They have started when
Massachusetts has chosen ODF as default format, and have managed to
replace the state CIO who made the decision.

--
Italo Vignoli - italo.vign...@gmail.com
mob +39.348.5653829 - VoIP 5316...@messagenet.it