Am 27.02.2013 09:25, schrieb Cor Nouws:
> Hello Issa,
>
> Issa Alkurtass wrote (23-02-13 12:41)
>
>> I've been wondering for a while how to handle LibreOffice and The
>> Document Foundation names in non-Latin languages:
>> - Translate them to their literal meaning.
>> - Transliterate them using non-Latin characters.
>> - Write them in English/using Latin characters.
>>
>> I've seen all three variations used, but which one is the right one?
>
> Interesting question :-)
> I think it partly depends on the situation / public that you comminicate
> with.
> In some groups it would be perfect OK to just write the names in
> English. While maybe for most (just a guess) transliterate would be best.
> Personally I would like to avoid the first option, translation to their
> literal meaning. And if it is used, only in combination with one of the
> two others.
>
> I hope theses thoughts help a bit!

How do you handle with CocaCola, Samsung, Mc Donald's etc.?
How do you handle with proper names?

LibreOffice is a trademark and TheDocumentFoundation is a proper name.
Even the Japanese, Korean, Chinese write the international company's
names in latin [1], [2].

Maybe explaining the sense of the "speaking" names will help, too.

E.g.:
[1] http://www.samsung.com/jp/#latest-home
[2] http://www.smotor.com/kr/index.html

--