Dear colleagues,

My co-authors and I are very pleased to inform you that our article “Brown
bear–sea otter interactions along the Katmai coast: terrestrial and nearshore
communities linked by predation” is now available.

Monson, D. H., Taylor, R. L., Hilderbrand, G. V., Erlenbach, J. A., Coletti, H.
A., Kloecker, K. A., Esslinger, G. G., Bodkin, J. L. 2022. Brown bear–sea otter
interactions along the Katmai coast: terrestrial and nearshore communities
linked by predation. Journal of Mammalogy. 10.1093/jmammal/gyac095
https://doi.org/10.1093/jmammal/gyac095

Abstract
Sea otters were extirpated throughout much of their range by the maritime fur
trade in the 18th and 19th centuries, including the coast of Katmai National
Park and Preserve in southcentral Alaska. Brown bears are an important
component of the Katmai ecosystem where they are the focus of a thriving
ecotourism bear-viewing industry as they forage in sedge meadows and dig clams
in the extensive tidal flats that exist there. Sea otters began reoccupying
Katmai in the 1970s where their use of intertidal clam resources overlapped
that of brown bears. By 2008, the Katmai sea otter population had grown to an
estimated 7,000 animals and was likely near carrying capacity; however, in
2006–2015, the age-at-death distribution (AADD) of sea otter carcasses
collected at Katmai included a higher-than-expected proportion of prime-age
animals compared to most other sea otter populations in Alaska. The unusual
AADD warranted scientific investigation, particularly because the Katmai
population is part of the Threatened southwest sea otter stock. Brown bears in
Katmai are known to prey on marine mammals and sea otters, but depredation
rates are unknown; thus, we investigated carnivore predation, especially by
brown bears, as a potential explanation for abnormally high prime-age otter
mortality. We installed camera traps at two island-based marine mammal haulout
sites within Katmai to gather direct evidence that brown bears prey on seals
and sea otters. Over a period of two summers, we gathered photo evidence of
brown bears making 22 attempts to prey on sea otters of which nine (41%) were
successful and 12 attempts to prey on harbor seals of which one (8%) was
successful. We also developed a population model based on the AADD to determine
if the living population is declining, as suggested by the high proportion of
prime-age animals in the AADD. We found that the population trend predicted by
the modeled AADDs was contradictory to aerial population surveys that indicated
the population was not in steep decline but was consistent with otter
predation. Future work should focus on the direct and indirect effects these
top-level predators have on each other and the coastal community that connects
them.

Best regards,
Daniel Monson

Daniel Monson, PhD.
Research Wildlife Biologist
US Geological Survey, Interior Region 11
Alaska Science Center
4210 University Drive
Anchorage,  AK  99508
907-786-7161 (w)     907-230-7139 (c)

Please note I sometimes send and answer email outside normal work hours.
This helps me with my schedule but is not intended to pressure others to do the
same.