Dear MARMAM community,
We are pleased to announce the publication of a new study assessing the
foraging distribution of Southern Right Whales in Proceedings of the National
Academy of Sciences:

Derville, S., Torres, L. G., Newsome, S. D., Somes, C. J., Valenzuela, L. O.,
Vander Zandenh, H. B. V, Baker, C. S., Bérubé, M., Busquets-Vass, G., Carlyon,
K., Childerhouse, S. J., Constantine, R., Dunshea, G., Flores, P. A. C.,
Goldsworthy, S. D., Graham, B., Groch, K., Gröcke, D. R., Harcourt, R.,
Hindell, M. A., Hulva, P., Jackson, J. A., Kennedy, A. S., Lundquist, D.,
Mackays, A. I., Neveceralova, P., Oliveira, L., Ott, P. H., Palsbøll, P. J.,
Patenaude, N. J., Rowntree, V., Sironi, M., Vermeuelen, Els, Watson, M.,
Zerbini, A. N., & Carroll, E. L. (2023). Long-term stability in the circumpolar
foraging range of a Southern Ocean predator between the eras of whaling and
rapid climate change. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 120,
e2214035120. https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2214035120

Abstract: Assessing environmental changes in Southern Ocean ecosystems is
difficult due to its remoteness and data sparsity. Monitoring marine predators
that respond rapidly to environmental variation may enable us to track
anthropogenic effects on ecosystems. Yet, many long-term datasets of marine
predators are incomplete because they are spatially constrained and/or track
ecosystems already modified by industrial fishing and whaling in the latter
half of the 20th century. Here, we assess the contemporary offshore
distribution of a wide-ranging marine predator, the southern right whale (SRW,
Eubalaena australis), that forages on copepods and krill from ~30°S to the
Antarctic ice edge (>60°S). We analyzed carbon and nitrogen isotope values of
1,002 skin samples from six genetically distinct SRW populations using a
customized assignment approach that accounts for temporal and spatial variation
in the Southern Ocean phytoplankton isoscape. Over the past three decades, SRWs
increased their use of mid-latitude foraging grounds in the south Atlantic and
southwest (SW) Indian oceans in the late austral summer and autumn and slightly
increased their use of high-latitude (>60°S) foraging grounds in the SW
Pacific, coincident with observed changes in prey distribution and abundance on
a circumpolar scale. Comparing foraging assignments with whaling records since
the 18th century showed remarkable stability in use of mid-latitude foraging
areas. We attribute this consistency across four centuries to the physical
stability of ocean fronts and resulting productivity in mid-latitude ecosystems
of the Southern Ocean compared with polar regions that may be more influenced
by recent climate change.

Please feel free to get in touch to receive a pdf copy
(solene.dervi...@oregonstate.edu<mailto:solene.dervi...@oregonstate.edu>)
Best,

Solène Derville, PhD (she/her)
Postdoctoral Scholar - Marine Ecology
Marine Mammal Institute | Department of Fisheries, Wildlife, and Conservation
Sciences
Oregon State University | Hatfield Marine Science Center
Geospatial Ecology of Marine Megafauna Lab<https://mmi.oregonstate.edu/gemm-lab>