I've taken a look at some of Van Heijenoort's critique of Engels
mathematical career. As to specifically the career and "reading list" aspect
of the critique,  the thought that occurs to me is that Van H. does not seem
to consider that Engels may have had very advanced uses of mathematics as a
capitalist. Accounting, finance, "economics" are highly mathematical. Today,
finance has so many mathematical forumlas it isn't funny. It would be
interesting to see what math was used in the typical cotton manufacturer's
business in the mid-1800's in England. Or maybe some of the books of Engels
and Ermin,  still exist.

This aspect is also interesting because Engels' theory and philosophy of
mathematics is exactly materialist, of course,  in contrast with that of
what is probably the theory of most abstract mathematicians, i.e. idealist,
emphasis on derivation outside of practical activities. Business is the
_most_ practical activity. Even physics is less practical.  Business is the
most highly math practical activity, in a sense.

Engels probably used lots of algebra and maybe even calculus in his business
and finance practical activity.  The notion that he was not well versed in
arithmetic might be overstated based on INFERENCE from the fact that he
engaged in extensive business career activities.

Charles