(My reformatting doesn't seem to work _ CB)

Jim Farmelant :

I think that we should keep in mind that Engels and the logical
positivists meant different things by the term "metaphysics."
Engels followed in Hegel's footsteps by equating metaphysics
with the discipline that attempts to delineate what is seen
as the eternal, unchanging aspects of reality, whereas the
positivists equated metaphysics with the making assertions
about the world that are not even in principle empirically
verifiable. To be sure that is considerable overlap between
what the two conceptions of metaphysics encompasses.
Both metaphysics in the sense outlined by Engels and
metaphysics as conceived by the positivists will tend
to treat on such issues as the existence of God, whether
or not ultimate reality is material or mental in nature
and so forth.  At the same time, many dialectical materialists
have asserted that logical positivism was metaphysical
in Engels' sense while the positivists have likewise
tended to brand dialectical materialism as metaphysics.
It seems to me that both schools might be correct from
the standpoints of their own conceptions of metaphysics.
Many of the logical positivists did after all attempt to
do things like what Carnap attempted to do with
his *Aufbau* in attempting to reconstruct scientific
knowledge along phenomenalist lines, which to
a dialectical materialist would seem to be metaphysical
in their sense of the word. And diamat ideas like
Engels' three laws of dialectics would seem to
qualify as metaphysics in the sense that the
positivists gave to that word.

^^^^^^^
CB: On   positivists equating metaphysics with making assertions
about the world that are not even in principle empirically
verifiable, of course, dialectical materialists are _materialists_ and
materialists _are_ empiricists ,i.e. do not believe in making assertions
about the world that are not even in principle empirically based.  That's
the first thing about Marx and Engels . They are materialists. So, I'm not
sure how the positivists missed the "materialism" in dialectical
materialism.

And there is evidence of dialecticality in the material world. Hegel gives
many examples. There is as much evidence of dialectics in the real world as
of formal logic, logicalists', positivist and otherwise, favorite. So, the
positivists can't say that the dialectics in dialectical materialism is not
based on evidence in principle. It 's based on evidence in fact. It is not
_a priori_ , but _ a posteriori_,it is based on experience. It ( the
generalization that objective reality is dialectical in its motion) is based
on social and transgenerational experience, not just the immediate sense
datum experience of Marx and Engels or Hegel.

Ah , but is the claim of the existence of dialectics in objective reality
based on practice ? That would be the Marxist test.