> andie nachgeborenen
>

> Settled?
>
> ^^^
> CB: From the standpoint of Marxism, settled, or
> obsolete. Marxism holds that
> there is progress in human knowledge.

I dond't disagree. It seem to me, though, that
philosophy is defined by the big questions (not
eternal, relative to an era) on which there is no
agreement. Progress in philosophy consists in mapping
out the alternatives so you know what the field looks
like.

> I think Rorty is right, issues don't get
> settled, people just get tired of talking about them
> and move on to others. What the debate does is map
> the
> field of possible positions, not settle anything
> except in the minds of advocates.
>
> ^^^^^
> CB: The Engels-Lenin approach on this is that truth
> derives from correction
> of errors, trial and error.

As you know, I have written on this, specifically in
regard to Marx. The question here is whether there is
the sort of objective reality about these questions
where error would harm you in a way that would lead
you to correct your views. I think in some cases there
may be, I have argued elsewhere that this is the case
with different class views of justice, where ruling
class interest in domination will lead to unstable
societies but subordinate group interest in
emancipation will not. However is there a comprable
pressure taht would lead to the adoption of true views
about, say personal identity over time, even if there
is a truth of the matter? Or about whether language is
compositional, ir indeed whether materialism is true
as opposed to, say, Kantian transcendral idealism?

 For example, materialism wins over idealism,
> from the standpoint of
> Marxist advocates.

Begs the question. Marxists believe this -- some of
them -- but there is in fact disagreement that doesn't
seem go goi away, and no overwhelmingly decisive
argument.

> There arise new questions, but many old questions
> are answered.

Yes, there arise new questyions. So philosophy will be
different,a s modern philosophy is different from
ancient of medieval or early modern philosophy. But
your claim was that all there would to philosophy was
history, that it would be over. Rorty seems to think
this too, but I don't see any reason to think that it
will be oveeras opposed to different.

> ^^^^^
> CB: Well, he does say there remains formal logic and
> dialectics. Dialectics
> deals with the parts and the whole, the
> interconnectedness of everything,
> and presumably therefore, presumably, the whole of
> knowledge and the
> interconnectedness of the separate sciences.

It's conceivable that philosophy wil get renamed
"dialectics," a term that doesn't have a lot of
concrete content, but that is sort of a hollow victory
for the "end of philosophy" thesis, if it just goes on
under a new name.

> What counts as a system? Philosophers sre still
> producing large, comprehensove, and fairly
> integrated
> bodies of work that cover a lot of territory.
>
> ^^^
>
> CB: Are they producing something that they consider
> metaphysics, or did the
> anti-metaphysicians win the day on that ? Are they
> really producing ideas
> that are new, or old ideas in new forms ?

Well, they are teaching classes called "metaphysics"
in philosophy grad schools, and people are certainly
producing what they consider to be metaphysics.
Whether it's anything new you'd have to decide for
yourself by reading a lot of it.

>  You don't know that if Marxism were
> geberally accepted most people would not feel it
> necessary or important to ask philosophical
> questions.
>
> ^^^^^
>
> CB: Right. You don't either. That would be
> speculation to speak on that
> since that condition does not obtain in empirical
> reality. I'm just
> commenting on what obtains empirically. But I didn't
> say that nobody would
> raise philosophical questions in communism, just as
> they might study ancient
> religions in history in communism.

But that's speculation. You assume that some science
or other will resolve all the question people have
discussed under the rubric of philosophy and settle
those questions, which is a pretty bold claim, and
very plausible. Will science tell us what to do?
Indeed, even to say that science will tell us what
there is raises a philosophical question -- whether
scientific realism is true and complete. (I think it
is true but not complete. There are, for example,
tables and chairs, but no science of tables and
chairs.)