Paradoxically, it was the events of last weekend, and especially the aftermath
among the talking heads, that put me squarely on Obama's side for the first
time.  I actually was emotionally detached from the situation--my frame of
reference being rather different from the average person's--until Monday.

And now I'm angry.

I only have a few minutes to get into it now, so I will limit myself to a few
bullet points.

(1) I still haven't heard Obama's speech from start to finish, but from the
snippets I've heard or seen in various venues I say it really makes a
difference when one quotes one or two sentences in isolation vs. having larger
chunks of the speech to work with.

(2) I am especially upset that the subtleties of Obama's argument get lost in
the process.

(3) I am really pissed when I hear white commentators respond solely by
questioning whether Obama has done enough to distance himself from Wright.
This was the first thing that upset me, and retrospectively I am now really
upset with the prior and continuing behavior of the Clinton camp. I am furious
that Obama has to be put in this position.  He could not do more to raise the
tone above the level of racial polarization, and yet the race baiting now
accelerates.  Of course we all expected this, but the entire Democratic Party
should be united in opposing the climate that has been created by this
particular sequence of events.  My worst fears have been aroused, my buttons
have been pushed, and now I'm on the warpath.  I haven't lost sight of the
larger picture behind the superficial popularity contest, but I am seriously
disturbed by the turn this has taken.

(4) I'm wondering how Bill Clinton expects to be received next time he sets
foot out on the streets of Harlem.  If I had more time, I'd have a few more
choice words about him.

(5) I haven't spoken with any Obama supporters for a week, so I haven't had a
chance to canvass their reactions.  I think there is another story here about
the division among white people that I sense at work here.  What's so weird
about this is that it's not--well, not when I checked last week--even a
left-right division, given Obama's support from white independents and moderate
Republicans.  Some whites are now getting a taste for the first time what
race-baiting is like, albeit only by proxy.  I'm curious to see how they will
react.

Others will take the bait and react against Obama.

There is another ironic factor at work, which carries the danger of becoming a
self-fulfilling prophecy: many white people (and black people too) don't want
to vote for Obama because they fear that other white people won't vote for a
black president.  I think this is a significant factor, and one of the two
major factors now occupying the Democratic leadership.  They are now crunching
the numbers to figure out their best option.  But there are only two factors
that really count:

(a) Calculation of the odds as to who can beat McCain;

(b) The Clintons' personal lust for power and the loyalty of their supporters
among the leadership.  They could be bluffing, but they may not realize that
Hillary is finished.