I am a few pages shy of finishing the book and will continue my
installments as soon as I can squeeze in the time.

Skepticism is one of those issues in philosophy that in my view--John
Searle agrees with me, too--is dead for the 21st century.  It's the
flip side of the apriorism of traditional philosophy that is no
longer an interesting question.

I did a quick read of Forster's book on Hegel and skepticism a few
years back, and I've heard at least one talk on the subject, but I
didn't absorb Forster's presentation properly the first time
around.  Skepticism seems to me irrelevant to Marx as to Engels; they
basically dismissed it.

As for epistemology and Marxism, well, Marxism contributes pieces of
the puzzle to epistemology as do other trends. Marx's interest in the
subject is invested in his struggle first against the Young Hegelians
and then against the bourgeois political economists, with swipes at
others along the line, like Proudhon and Comte.  As new challenges
arose from various philosophical and quasi-scientific quarters,
Engels tackled other questions, quite perceptively. Later on, in the
German Social Democratic movement, Kautsky, Luxemburg and others
tackled certain questions as best they knew how. In Russia, Plekhanov
did likewise, and he proved to have a lasting influence. And one can
go on with Lenin in 1908, and a new phase after the war beginning
with Lukacs, and so on.  Many of these interventions had their up
sides and their down sides. Note, however, that critiques have always
been more productive than the codification and defense of total,
finished systems.

Marxists have intersected other departments of knowledge and other
philosophical claims from time to time, sometimes in the way of
critique, others in attempts at synthesis. But the historical
development of ideas is highly uneven.  For example, the issues which
this book enters around have nothing to do with what marxism was up
to.  If one were to throw a materialist into the mix, what basis of
interaction would there even have been given the state of affairs in
the 1920s?  Marcuse I suppose could have thrown his two cents in,
from a quasi-Heideggerian view at least. Adorno was I think, a bit
too young; he doesn't come on the scene until 1931.  But there were
certain developments in Marxism, particularly in its philosophical
wing--dialectical materialism--and other areas that as far as I can
tell, did not intersect at the time.  And when it happened, the
authority built up in the Soviet Union and its international
influence was based on a partial and defective solidified tradition
and set of habits.

I'll get back to the book as soon as I can. I'm also reading
Macherey's IN A MATERIALIST WAY, which is frustrating, as most French crap is.