It should be noted that before the
actions of the Third Reich had discredited
eugenics.  It was something that was
widely supported by intellectuals across
the board from far right to far left,
and all points in between.  Bertrand
Russell and G.B. Shaw were noted
supporters of eugenics.  It also
had the support of many Marxists
including for instance, Trotsky.
Thus Trotsky in his article,
"If America should go Communist"
(http://www.marxists.org/archive/trotsky/1934/08/ame.htm)
wrote the following concerning eugenics -
note the distinction that he drew between the
kind of eugenics that he supported and the
kind that the Nazis supported:

"While the romantic numskulls of Nazi
Germany are dreaming of restoring the
old race of Europe’s Dark Forest to its
original purity, or rather its original
filth, you Americans, after taking a firm
grip on your economic machinery and your
culture, will apply genuine scientific
methods to the problem of eugenics.
Within a century, out of your melting pot
of races there will come a new breed of
men – the first worthy of the name of Man."

Jim F.