>>No, it would have been _less_ efficient. No one would, I thin, argue
otherwise. But _efficiency_ is a stupid criterion for human activity. It
constitutes what I call the Trap of the Present -- a trap glorified by
Bernstein (The Movement is Everything) and decisively condemned by
Luxemburg in her speeches at the a898 Converence of the SPD. Some former
members of the SWP like to quote Cannon to the effect that "The art of
politics is knowing what to do next," which is just another way of
featureing efficiency rather than intelligence in political thinking.

Carrol<<

I think my point was that the Manhattan Project was extravagantly
wasteful as well as authoritarian. That would be the strong points of
my argument.

Back to the wheat: in one sense Lysenko was right, and that was the
Medelians weren't helping him produce better wheat. One issue was that
the non-Mendelian plant breeding tradition of the 19th century (it
could accomodate Lamarkism or Mendelism) that so helped the US become
the world's 'bread basket' didn't help Russia move wheat northward. It
ran its own timeline--when longer term climate took its toll and
created the dust bowl and ecological ruin of what was plains and
prairie that should never have been put under the plow. Much later the
Soviet Union took outside advice on winter wheat and did move it
northward, and then had some years of success--only to suffer severe
crop failures when there was a series of very cold winters. So the US
hits its limits with precipitation and the Soviet Union hit their with
the cold. Bring on the wheat purchases of the 1960s.

Borlaug combined plant breeding techniques and some Mendelian
understanding to create 'miracle wheat' for Mexico, but those
techniques didn't produce a miracle wheat for the Soviet Union,
regardless of Lysenko's or beliefs (which were pro-plant breeding,
negative on most aspects of Mendelian genetics) or Borlaug's beliefs
(which were Mendelian training, but traditional plant-breeding in
practice).

Efficiciency might be a good criterion for agriculture if you have a
shortage of labor, a shortage of transport and a shortage of
storage--as well as a shortage of fertlizer. You had make the best use
of what you got.
I see Lysenko more as someone who understood what the peasants were
facing every year, which probably made him too skeptical of the
science (and the competing schools of thought). This isn't the only
clash between practical, real-world farming techniques being reluctant
to take on the state-of-the-art science.

CJ