Jim Farmelant wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 22:41:54 +0900 CeJ <jann...@gmail.com> writes:
> >>
> > I guess if the project hadn't been authoritarian, it would have ben
> > more 'efficient' and yielded enough bombs to wipe out even more of
> > Japan.

No, it would have been _less_ efficient. No one would, I thin, argue
otherwise. But _efficiency_ is a stupid criterion for human activity. It
constitutes what I call the Trap of the Present -- a trap glorified by
Bernstein (The Movement is Everything) and decisively condemned by
Luxemburg in her speeches at the a898 Converence of the SPD. Some former
members of the SWP like to quote Cannon to the effect that "The art of
politics is knowing what to do next," which is just another way of
featureing efficiency rather than intelligence in political thinking.

Carrol