To me the thing about mirror neurons is that the first thought about
them would seem to be that they are involved in _imitation_. The
subject's neurons guide imitating what is "seen in the mirror" . A
mirror image replicates something perceived.

My whole thing about the signs-symbols of language is the _arbitrary_
relationship, not the "_imitative_ " relationship between signifier
and signified. The signifier does not "mirror" the thing signified.
Neurons involved in signifying would not be "mirrors" but ...well
something that unifies or identifies "opposites" or at least
differences. In other words, a "dialectical" neuron.  A "lying"
neuron, actually, one that says two different things are identical.

Then I ask why would identifying two things that are not identical
arise ? That's where I get to the idea that symbols can cross the
death barrier , whereas the bodily actions of the ancestor cannot
cross the death barrier.  The bodily actions of the ancestor cross the
death barrier in the form of signs which are not the body, but which
are used to represent that body and its many actions.  In other words,
the fact that the signifier is _not_ the "thing" or processes that it
signified is the characteristic that allows it to get across the death
barrier that the body of the ancestor faces.

The symboling and language built up allows the accumulation of the
experiences over many generations within the group as its tradition
and culture.

So it would be "symboling" neurons, not mirror neurons that are the
ones to be found.  We are looking for neurons that symbolize, not
neurons that mirror.  This doesn't mean that humans don't imitate at
all. Humans both imitate and symbolize. One would expect them to have
both mirroring and symboling neurons. Monkeys mainly imitate, with
diminimis symboling , if any. Chimps mainly imitate, with very little
symboling, especially when not taught to symbolize by humans.

CB

CeJ jannuzi at gmail.com

Some more recommended readings with indicative excerpts.

CJ

http://www.unipr.it/arpa/mirror/pubs/pdffiles/ferrari/Curr_Directions_Psy.pdf

Recently
we found (Fogassi et al., 2005) that mirror neurons belonging
to the parieto-frontal motor system2 differentially code a
motor act according to the final goal of the action sequence in
which the act is embedded. For example, a certain mirror neuron
activates when the monkey observes another individual grasping
food for eating it (the action’s final goal) and not when that individual
grasps it for placing it into a container. Based on these
findings, we postulated that the motor system is organized into
neuronal chains, each coding a specific goal and combining
different elements (motor acts) of the action. Further preliminary