This is an interesting discussion.

In the section below, I think the definition differentiating "culture"
and "culture" vs "cumulative cultural evoluton" is problematic, as the
longstanding ethnological definition of "culture" makes "accumulation"
a necessary part of the definition. In other words, whatever they are
calling "culture" that doesn't have accumulation across generations is
not culture.

Of course , other species learn and imitate.  Learning and imitation
are not sufficient to constitute human tradition or culture. The
distinctive characteristic of culture, as I've said dozens of times,
is symboling and learning from symboling, and _not_ learning by
imitating. Humans do learn by imitating, but that is not their
cultural learning. The cultural learning is through symbols, and
symbols do not "imitate" what they represent.  Thus, with symbols and
culture, humans can learn from dead generations , from dead people who
are not present to imitate.

If my parent tells me a story about how my now dead great-great
grandfather learned to swim, the words don't imitate the act of
swimming.  They convey it through words which don't directly imitate
the act of swimming. My great great grand father doesn't have to be
physically present to demonstrate for me to imitate. Of course, I do
learn somethings by their being demonstrated by someone in my physical
presence, but humans learn that way _and_ in the symbolic way. Humans
learn both ways. Other species only learn through imitation of direct
demonstration, not through symbols.

By the symbolic learning it is possible to "accumulate" across
generations much , much, much....much more cultural knowledge. It is
only the accumulated across generations knowledge that is worthy of
the name culture, all the efforts to attribute to other species the
capacity for culture, notwithstanding.

Charles

In the long version of this paper, I suggest some strategies for
defusing these two serious problems. With regard to the first problem,
I turn to the animal culture literature, in search of definitions of
'culture' and 'cultural learning' that do not presuppose a capacity
for propositional thought. Following Tomasello, et. al. (1993), I
suggest that any population that displays the "ratchet-effect" (495),
or what Boyd & Richerson (1996) call "cumulative cultural evolution"
(79), should count as displaying culture and cultural learning. Such
phenomena do not require propositional thought. They merely require
mechanisms of "social canalization" (Boesch 1996, 257), like fairly
rudimentary capacities to imitate models. There is ethological
evidence that certain chimpanzee populations display such
phenomena.(Ibid., 255-265) Furthermore, there is neurobiological
evidence that many primates have neural mechanisms capable of
implementing imitative learning.(Arbib &Rizzolatti 1996)

Given this understanding of 'culture' and 'cultural learning', the
neo-Vygotskyan alternative seems threatened by the same sorts of
objections as the standard account. If some chimpanzee populations
display evidence of culture and cultural learning, and if many
primates have neural mechanisms capable of implementing cognitive
capacities necessary for culture and cultural learning, then why is
there no evidence for the cultural evolution of natural language in
non-human, primate species? In response to this worry, I draw on Boyd
& Richerson's (1996) formal, evolutionary argument for the claim that,
while culture may be common, cumulative cultural evolution is
inevitably rare.(82-88)

Finally, I conclude the paper by offering some speculative suggestions
for defusing the second serious problem with the neo-Vygotskyan
alternative: if language is the product of cumulative cultural
evolution based on non-propositional forms of cultural cognition, then
why does it have the structure that it has? I suggest that the
phylogenetically earliest function of language-like systems of
communication consisted in supplementing imitation, in the
transmission of ecologically crucial, cultural practices from parents
to offspring. Proto-language may have consisted in a gestural form
with a mimetic function: by miming hierarchically organized sequences
of gestures involved in tool use, parents could enhance the
transmission of ecologically crucial, tool-using practices to
offspring. Such communicative behaviors would inherit the
combinatorial structure of the tool use that they mimicked, and would
thereby constitute an early form of a combinatorial, communicative
system, like natural language.

-