On 2/23/2011 11:42 AM, Paula wrote:
"The idea of an 'imperialist' Libya beggars the imagination."

That's because the radical left has no imagination. Or logic.
If a European country was doing what Libya is doing, we would call
it imperialism. Therefore, if Libya does it, we should also call
it imperialism.

I think I now understand Paula's confusion. She views "imperialism" in the same way that young radicals viewed "fascism" in the 1960's and 70's, as something that bad guys do. Nixon was a "fascist" because he did Watergate and bombed Vietnam to hell. "Imperialism" is a question of what "Libya is doing", like intervening in the Central African Republic on behalf of a dictator.

It occurred to me that there might be a use for the term "fascism" in the sense of the untutored 60s radicals. For example, I would regard car alarms and cell phones as fascist, as well as the music of Elton John and Billy Joel.

Maybe we can use "imperialism" in the same way? Like dog owners who don't clean up their pet's poop or the commercials for laxatives on the TV evening news when I am trying to enjoy my dinner.

Down with fascism and imperialism! Long live niceness!