Gary MacLennan writes:

>  I was very struck here by what Fidel Castro wrote on this
> natural disaster.  We are living through events which are all too horrible
> to contemplate - yet they are all too real.
>
> On the political front the hopes I had for the Arab revolution are being
> murdered by the mad butcher Qaddafi and the other tyrants.
>
> Economically I am witnessing in my native country, Ireland, the sad spectre
> of mass immigration arising once more. Elsewhere around the world
> "austerity" is now the order of the day.
>
> In ecological terms the poor people of Japan may actually be witnessing the
> capital city of their country rendered unlivable, for make no mistake about
> it that is what is at stake here.

My sentiments exactly.  Though I happened  to be out of Japan when the disaster
struck, I am currently in the process of evacuating a family member who remains
there. We have essentially left our house as is, and my wife her job, and do
not
know if or when it will ever be possible to go back. Nevertheless, these are
minor travails compared to the suffering of people further east and north in
the
country, or of those who do not have the option of leaving.

Lajany Otum