Eli Quotes

> Fred: "I am sure that the conventional wisdom on the Marxism List, where I
> am sort of based, is that latest threats by the US government are just more
> talk."

There was no such conventional wisdom at all.   If one counted the posts
from Nestor, Fred, Eli,  & Luko one would think that the list had decided
that the real danger lay in the rebels seeking outside intervention.

What there was on the opposing side was a recognition that Gaddafi was an
enemy of the Arab revolution. Added to this there was a good deal of scorn
for his so-called anti-Imperialist credentials. Lou has exposed these in
post after post and so did I but these contributions were studiously
ignored.

I have always opposed outside intervention and so have Lou and others.  No
one is in favour of it.  No one.  Having said that if I were in Benghazi and
facing the fate that Gadaffi had prepared for me, I would be tempted to
grasp at the straw the UN is holding out.  I would be politically wrong of
course. So I am not shocked by the images from Benghazi of joy at the UN
vote. None of that detracts from my core belief that the Libyan revolt was
an integral part of the Arab Revolution.

It is Gaddafi and his filthy sons especially - "the Sword of Islam"- who
have acted as the best friends of imperialism throughout this. Their
tribalistic opposition to the revolt opened the door for reaction. The blood
curdling threats and crazy ramblings of Gaddafi himself had only to be
publicised to build the case for intervention.

In all probability intervention was delayed until those who opposed
intervention on the rebel side were too weak, and too isolated in face of
the "no Mercy" threat from the mad dog himself.

Having broken my vow of silence on Libya I will throw the tomahawk as well.
A central problem on the Left is that we have all  too often failed to grasp
the damage we have done to the cause of human emancipation and our own
reputations by our championing of characters like Mugabe, Ahmadinejad and
Gaddafi. Of course we oppose Imperialistic adventures but we stand for the
cause of humanity.  No matter how weak and feeble our numbers, our moral
strength should always be untouchable.  That is the disservice that Chavez
has done to the world revolution by his refusal to welcome the Arab
revolution in Libya and his sidling up to the Gaddafi family. It is also on
a lesser scale the disservice that Yoshi and MRzine have done to our cause.

Eli's parting shot was

> The U.S. has got its war.

Maybe.  What they have got is an excuse to intervene and Gaddafi has given
it to them. But never forget it is easy to go in but very hard to get out.
I have seen British soldiers welcomed in the Catholic streets of Belfast
because they appeared to offer respite from the onslaught of Protestant
terror. Within a year war had broken out against those same troops. The same
fate awaits those who intervene in Libya.

comradely

Gary