On 2011-03-18, at 7:08 AM, Fred Feldman wrote:

> Gadhafi, as head of a
> seamless, all-encompassing totalitarian super-state (like Saddam) will
> surely kill pretty much everybody except members of his immediate family.
> And anyone who dares suggest that his position has significantly weakened
> even if he "wins" over should surely be tried with him at the Hague.

Jeez, Fred, try me in the dock with Gaddafi? I earlier wrote in reply to the
notion that Gaddafi will be taking reprisals against western oil companies that
it "assumes that Gaddafi, whatever his sentiments, will emerge strengthened
rather than weakened from the present conflict...doubtful if a UN- or Arab
League-brokered settlement produces a more broadly based regime which remains
committed to furthering Libya's capitalist development and ties to the European
Union and the US." Events may well prove me wrong, your honour, and, if so, I'm
prepared to do some hard time, but I respectfully submit that my transgression
does not constitute a capital crime on the order of those which the tyrant has
threatened to unleash against the armed opposition holdouts in Benghazi.