On 2013-06-27, at 7:19 PM, DW wrote:

> Actually, Kamanev was only half-Jewish. The wrong half, his father, which
> makes him not Jewish to Jewish law. Oh well. Of course to the bigots,
> Bolshevism was Jewish: ergo Lenin was Jewish, Stalin was Jewish. Generally,
> as there were ALL non-Jewish Jews (though Zinoviev had been in the Bund I'm
> told), completely and thoroughly Russified, how is "Jewish" at all
> important?

Trotsky, Zinoviev, Radek, and other lesser known Bolsheviks were materialists
who rejected religion and had long ceased to identify with the Jewish
communities into which they had been born. However, as Bolsheviks they still
regarded the Jews as a nation with a common language, culture,  and territory
in Eastern Europe, and they viewed anti-semitism as an major ruling class
weapon in the struggle against the growing mass influence of Marxism. Therein
lies the importance of being Jewish in that historical period. It was often a
life and death matter, and it universally doomed the entire Yiddish-speaking
nation in WWII.

Today, Judaism survives as a transnational religion like Islam, Christianity,
Buddhism, etc. I've never quite understood understood why Deutscher continued
to describe himself as a "non-Jewish Jew" since he did not practice the
religion and had no longer had connection to an organized Jewish community. In
his defence, he could claim to have come from the shtetl and to speak its
distinctive language.

The attenuated attachment to the tradition of contemporary secular non-Jewish
"Jews" in many countries, however, seems to me to resemble that of the
descendants of the Irish, Italian, and other European immigrant families:
mainly nostalgic - a fondness for pastrami, klezmer, and other features of the
inherited culture - and an uncritical belief in the blood tie of having been
born of a Jewish mother and of belonging to a separate Ashkenazi or Sephardic
racial or ethnic group. In one respect, though, "Jewish" self-identification is
unique, owing much to the traumatic memory of the Judeocide, still too fresh
for a generation once removed to ease fears of its recurrence and to fully
assimilate even though it is widely dispersed, intermingled, and intermarried.